Outrage as School Vice Principal faces trial over alleged rape of four sisters. By Abibu Shehu Ibrahim

Outrage as School Vice Principal faces trial over alleged rape of four sisters

By Abibu Shehu Ibrahim 

A Kano father, Lawal Ayuba Madaki, has expressed outrage after accusing a teacher he trusted with his children’s education of betraying that trust by allegedly abusing his four daughters.

Abeni Aso-Oke

The suspect’s alleged actions came to light after the children’s mother noticed disturbing signs and informed their father, leading to the arrest of Kamal Abdulmuminu, fondly known to the children as “Uncle Kamal.”

Madaki, originally from Nasarawa Local Government Area but resident in Inusawa, Ungogo Local Government Area, recounted the moment he received the news.

“I was seated outside my furniture workshop when my wife called to inform me of the very sad development,” he said.

Abeni Aso-Oke

According to him, the children were immediately taken to the hospital where examinations confirmed they had been sexually abused.

The family then reported the matter at Dantamashe Police Station, after which the police took the children to Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital for further tests that also confirmed the abuse.

The suspect, who serves as their teacher and Vice Principal, was subsequently arrested at the school.

He said the children disclosed that the teacher allegedly abused them on several occasions, usually calling them into his office one after another after break time.

The school was identified as Al-Hadeed Private School, located at Kwanar Dorasa, Inusawa, in Ungogo Local Government Area.

Madaki explained that the children are quadruplets; three girls and a boy, born in 2019.

He added that the boy does not currently live with him, while another daughter, aged five, is also enrolled in the same school.

“The suspect is now in custody and the matter is before a magistrate’s court, which has adjourned the case till June 9,” he said.

He recalled that the children initially complained of persistent stomach aches despite medication.

“Their mother later noticed an unusual discharge in one of the girls, prompting further questioning.

“The six-year-old confessed it was their teacher. When the mother checked the others, she discovered they had all been abused,” he added.

Madaki appealed to local, state and federal authorities to ensure diligent prosecution of the case and justice for the children.

He also urged the Emir of Kano and human rights organisations, particularly those focused on women and children, to monitor the proceedings.

“We will never forgive him till eternity,” he said.

Al’yasa Ayuba Madaki, the children’s uncle who is handling the case in court, said the suspect was arraigned but pleaded not guilty.

He explained that the case was adjourned to June 9 and that the magistrate declined a bail application because of the gravity of the offence.

He argued that the offence should not attract bail, especially as the victims are minors.

He also disclosed that although the school had not issued an official statement, its management had been pleading with the family to withdraw the case.

“I told them clearly we will not withdraw the case,” he said, noting that he is overseeing the matter because the father is ill.

Child rights activist Aisha Haruna Kabuga, Kano State and Northern Coordinator of the National Council of Child Rights Advocates of Nigeria, described the incident as unfortunate and said civil society organisations would monitor the case to its conclusion.

She urged the state government to establish a Child Rights Act implementation committee, noting that the Ministry of Women Affairs alone could not handle all child abuse cases.

She also observed that both private and public schools in Kano lack effective mechanisms for protecting children’s rights.

“The abuse of four children from one family must not be treated lightly.

“Civil society organisations will monitor the proceedings to ensure justice,” she said.

Prosecuting counsel, Barrister Badamasi Gandu, advised parents with children in the same school to examine them, warning that other pupils may also have been abused.

Meanwhile, the Chairman of Ungogo Local Government Area, Tijjani Amiru Bilyaminu, has ordered the closure of Al-Hadeed Private School until further notice following the remand of the teacher by a magistrate’s court.

The council chairman said the action was taken to ensure justice for the victims and allow the suspect face the full weight of the law, reiterating the council’s commitment to protecting children and ensuring offenders face severe consequences.

The suspect was arraigned before a magistrate’s court on Monday over the alleged abuse of four minors.

Prosecutor Badamasi Gandu told the court that medical reports confirmed the abuse before the suspect was arraigned.

The court subsequently remanded the suspect in a custodial facility and adjourned the case until June 6.

Spread the love
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x